Idaho Steelheads vs. Utah Grizzlies

Date(s) - Sat Oct 21, 2017
7:05 pm - 10:50 pm

Steel Reel 

The Steelheads visit Maverik Center on Saturday for their first road game of the season, the rubber game of their three-game series with the Utah Grizzlies. After the Steelheads took the first game of the series on Wednesday, the Grizzlies responded last night at CenturyLink Arena with a 4-3 overtime victory, the first overtime contest for both teams this season and Utah’s first win of the year.

The Grizzlies scored twice in the first minute of the first period on Friday, with Greger Hanson scoring on the game’s first shot and then setting up Michael Pelech on the power play shortly after. Idaho would climb back to take the lead by the middle of the third period with two goals from Justin Parizek and a power play marker from Brady Brassart. The Grizzlies would answer late in regulation with Taylor Richart’s second goal of the season, and Kyle Thomas netted the winner in the final minute of overtime.

Power of Parizek…

Rookie forward Justin Parizek was at the center of the Steelheads scoring attack on Friday, continuing a strong start to his professional career. Parizek earned his first multi-goal game as part of a three-point performance against the Grizzlies. His first goal of the game at 3:42 of the first period came shortly after the Grizzlies had tallied twice out of the gate, while his second goal gave Idaho a brief lead in the third period. Parizek also set up Brady Brassart’s power play goal with a pass down low for a Brassart deflection. Parizek is tied for the league-lead in rookie scoring with five points. It’s been an impressive stretch for the line of Parizek, Brassart, and Steve McParland, with Parizek and Brassart finding the net in back-to-back games and Parizek and McParland earning points in three straight contests.

Discipline and Adapting…

A point was made in the off-season that the ECHL was going to be cracking down on stick infractions, and it has certainly been evident in the first two games between Utah and Idaho. The Steelheads were shorthanded nine times on Wednesday night while holding the Utah power play off the score sheet, but they did surrender a goal while being shorthanded another seven times on Friday night. Likewise, the Grizzlies have been down a man 13 times in the past two games. The Steelheads penalty kill is working at an 87.5 percent success rate early in the season, but they will still want to cut down on the penalties in Utah. 

Tabs on Thomas…

The Steelheads were unable to keep Greger Hanson under wraps on Friday as the veteran posted a goal and two assists, but it was his line-mate Kyle Thomas who struck the final blow with his first goal of the season in overtime. Thomas also had a three-point night, assisting on the game’s first two goals. Hanson and Thomas are both riding three-game points streaks, with Thomas pulling in a goal and four assists over that stretch.


Idaho Leaders                                      

Goals: Parizek/Brassart (3)

Assists: Dahl/McParland (3)

Points: Three players (5)

Plus/Minus: Brassart (+3)

Power Play Goals: Three players (1)

Goals-Against Average: Desrosiers (2.28)

Grizzlies Leaders

Goals: Hanson (3)

Assists: Thomas (4)

Points: Hanson (6)

Plus/Minus: Five players (+2)

Power Play Goals: Pelech (1)

Goals-Against Average: Carr (3.05)

Grizzlies blank Steelheads in series finale


Play of the game

The Grizzlies got the game-winner early in the first period from the same player who tied the game late on Friday night in Boise. The Grizzlies rushed three men into the offensive zone with Ryan Misiak and Brendan Harms at the front. Misiak left the puck behind in the slot and Harms seemed to over-skate it before inching it back to the trailer Taylor Richart, who had plenty of room to hammer his third goal of the season past Branden Komm for a 1-0 lead.


West Valley, UT (10/21/17)— Three first period goals and a 36-save effort from goaltender Kevin Carr were enough to pace the Utah Grizzlies (2-4-0)  to a second consecutive win, as they shutout the Idaho Steelheads (2-2-1) 3-0 at Maverik Center on Saturday night.

Defensemen Taylor Richart and Cliff Watson both scored within the game’s first five minutes, with Richart netting his third of the season on a shot from the high slot at 4:18 of the first period and Watson tapping in a centering pass 38 seconds later for his first professional goal.

Michael Pelech would score his third goal of the season with 1:56 left in the opening frame, batting a bouncing rebound off of Branden Komm and into the net for a 3-0 Utah lead.

The Steelheads held the Grizzlies to eight shots over the final two periods but were unable to score against Carr, despite 17 shots from the Steelheads in the third period and two posts. Defensemen Aaron Harstad and Eric Sweetman combined for 11 shots during the game, with Sweetman making his return from a two-game absence from the lineup.

The Steelheads made a push to spoil Carr’s shutout bid in the closing minutes during a major power play that closed out the game. Utah’s Travis Howe was penalized with 2:08 left in the game when he went after defenseman Cody Corbett and forward Justin Parizek. Howe was called for instigating, fighting, and he earned two game misconducts. With several chances in close on the power play, Idaho could not convert.

Forwards Justin Parizek and Steve McParland saw three-game points streaks come to an end.

The Steelheads are back in action next Friday when they make their first ever visit to Moline, IL to take on the Quad City Mallards for a two-game set. Puck-drop is scheduled for 6:05pm MT from TaxSlayer Center, with the game available on radio on 1350KTIK and viewed on ECHLTV.

Photo: Tim Broussard 


Branden Komm: 10 saves on 13 shots

Power Play: 0-for-5

Penalty Kill: 4-for-4



  1. Kevin Carr UTA
  2. Taylor Richart UTA
  3. Michael Pelech UTA



Michael Pelech: 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 shot, plus-2